Here they are: the best movies of 2022 according to the experts at Ryan Writes Stuff.
5. Glass Onion. A sequel that is on-par with the original, and a mystery that’s worth repeat viewings. Even if future installments of this franchise are only half as good as the first two, I hope Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig make these movies forever. ★★★★☆
4. Top Gun: Maverick. A sequel that is far superior to the original, and one of the best-shot action movies of all time. Relying on practical effects, throwing the actors into real jets, and top-notch cinematography from Claudio Miranda prove that ‘silly action movies’ can be incredible if you take the time to do them right. ★★★★☆
3. The Fabelmans. Spielberg’s semi-autographical film might be boring to anyone who didn’t grow up making home movies, but it’s easily the most sincere movie he’s made. Essential viewing for any Spielberg fan (or anyone else who earned the Cinematography Merit Badge in Boy Scouts 3 times like me). ★★★★☆
2. Marcel The Shell With Shoes On. Though he’s tiny, Marcel packs big emotion in a gorgeously-shot, thoughtful, funny, and heartfelt movie. Marcel is the hero we needed this year, and is absolutely as fearless as Lesley Stahl. ★★★★★
1. Everything Everywhere All At Once. The most bonkers, touching, funny, stupid, brilliant movie of the year. It literally is everything everywhere all at once, and the only multiverse movie worthy of this list (sorry, Marvel). I won’t say much more, since it’s best to go into this one blind. Sit back, and let it take you on its ride. ★★★★★
Have to acknowlege a couple of movies I haven’t seen yet, but could have made this list: The Banshees of Inisherin and Empire of Light. Thoughts on those might come in my annual Oscar’s preditions.